View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 09:31 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 3 wt Rod Recommendation (BVK maybe)?

I have a 9' 5wt BVK myself. It is a fantastic rod and my go to for nymph indicator rigs, streamers, etc....... It has a lot of backbone, maybe a bit too much backbone for a small stream fly rod, IMO.

If you are looking to mainly nymph and throw streamers, etc..... the BVK is perfect. But if you are after a rod with a really delicate touch for dry flies and anything else you might throw, I would look elsewhere.

I have a TFO finesse- it is also a great rod. Not as fast action but it thows a dry very gently and can also throw streamers and nymphs easily. You might also look at the Redington Classic Trout/Tempt and the Allen ATS if you are after something that can do it all but has delicacy.

Not that the BVK lacks delicacy or wouldn't make a good stream rod. With heavy flies or wind, the BVK is an excellent choice,