View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 01:23 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Vertical casting vs non-vertical

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
Regarding the accuracy, I think following thru after your forward cast increase the accuracy, just like the golf swing.
I'm not sure equating a golf swing with a casting stroke is that very similar.
For the most part you are stopping the rod to make the fly go. It's the direction the rod tip is going at the stop that plays a huge part in the direction the fly ends up going.
If you stop a golf club mid-swing usually bad things happen.
The popular analogies used to help describe and visualize a proper casting stroke involve accelerating to a stop, Some of these descriptions are flicking paint off of a paint brush, tossing liquid out of a glass, lobbing an apple stuck on a stick, throwing a dart and so on.

wjc, I guess I've never tried going sidearm when casting for accuracy because when casting overhead I can gage both distance and direction.
The best way to explain it is that the fly hovers over the area in false casting to help me judge both direction and distance. Now that you've forced me into thinking about it, maybe it's that point in time when the fly is changing direction between the forward and backward stroke. In photography I believe they call this instant the peak of action.