View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 10:52 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Textured or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts47 View Post
I'm not sure sound above the water is so much my question as something making sound that comes in contact with the water like a fly line does. Would a fly line transmit that noise directly to the water? The Sharkskin line I fished with turned me off immediately. It just seemed that loud. I expect the textured line would not make as much noise.
Any line slapping the water can transmit enough sound and energy to the water to get then trouts attention and spook them. This is why, for the most part, the cast should end with the line above the water so it gently lands without signaling the trout you are there. Hoppers, poppers and such sometimes work better being slapped on the water to get the fish's attention but even then it's best to not slap the line if you can help it.
The Textured SA line is quieter than the Sharkskin and is easier on the fingers and epoxy around the guides.
I started fly fishing when silk lines were the norm (and a whole lot cheaper) because that's what was on the rods the grown-ups brought on vacation. From there I've witnessed and used a lot of lines since the progression from silk to what we have today. Being one of the grown-ups today I enjoy witnessing and being the beneficiary of the progress the line manufacturers have made in making slick and durable, low maintenance lines. The Sharkskin and Textured lines I use have no more or less problems of the tips floating than slick lines of the same general configuration. Truth-be-told, the highest floating tips I've ever had on fly lines are any of the Cortland lines with their Dyna-Tip. The same people who bring us the ancient 333 lines that so many people adore thankfully didn't stop at that and are still improving and innovating. I hope I never get so old or stuck in my ways that I can't take advantage of the true improvements that make this sport more enjoyable and efficient.
If you are having trouble feel your rod load it might not be you but the rod you are using. As mentioned earlier, the SA GPX and Rio Grand can help not only in tossing meatier flies but being a 1/2 line weight heavy also can in getting a feel for rod loading. The GPX comes in slick, Textured and Sharkskin!
Having my druthers I pick Textured, it's the best of both worlds for my uses.