View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 11:45 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Vertical casting vs non-vertical

Quote:
wjc, I guess I've never tried going sidearm when casting for accuracy because when casting overhead I can gage both distance and direction.
It doesn't surprise me, Jackster, since off-vertical casting is not nearly so accurate - in reasonably calm conditions.

Let me put it another way, that is much easier to visualize. Imagine a fly coming down on top of a 2 foot diameter hula hoop sitting on the ground. You have a perfectly round target 2 feet in diameter to hit.

Now imagine casting at that same hula hoop propped up at a 45 degree angle on one side. The diameter in the "distance" axis is the same. But the diameter in the "direction" axis is much smaller than 2 feet.

That's the "effective" target width when casting a rod angled @45 degrees. Now that is presuming that fly and rod legs of the loop are exactly parallel AND that the cast trajectory is such that the loop straightens out at exactly ground level, OR stops at the right spot above that narrowed circle, extends fully without any hook, and falls vertically into the full circle. Either way, you have a narrowed target to hit.

But the distance does not change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrown
I dont know...but I doubt steve rajeff uses this cast in tournaments....and he's someone to pattern yourself after.
Bob, I'm not sure what you mean by this exactly, but I would be reluctant to advise anyone to pattern their casting after anyone if what you mean is to immitate their style or technique. What I think IS important is to learn the fundamentals, then experiment to find the best way for you to execute those fundamentals your own way. Remember too, that tournaments, whether distance or accuracy, are not fishing. I would bet money that if there were a video of Joan Wulff casting for tarpon on a windy day, her stroke would look absolutely nothing like the one we are used to seeing on her videos.

Last edited by wjc; 04-22-2013 at 12:03 PM.