View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 03:04 PM

jangevaare is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New member from Sault Michigan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp green View Post
Hi all,

I live in Sault Ste. Marie, MI. I moved here from the north western mountains of Maine's Moosehead region. I do a lot of steelhead and salmon fishing in the St. Mary's Rapids on the Ontario side. But my real love is brook trout fishing in rivers and streams with a cane rod and dry flies. I am 100% catch and release.

The area around Michigan's Eastern UP isn't conducive to that type of fly fishing. I'm not into still or big water with a boat, so there isn't much for me here. I don't know much about the Algoma district around Sault, Ont. and was hoping someone could steer me towards some nice brookie (speck) rivers on the canadian side?

Thanks to all in advance...

George
I have heard the Root River in SSM, ON contains brookies. I have yet to catch any myself. Here's some pictures from one section in the late fall when I visited in search of steel (no luck in that respect either. Water had been very low however).

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

There is a book about fishing lake superior tribs that may contain some info for you with respect to larger rivers... Sorry about being a bit sparse, but I am always a bit over cautious with fishing location specifics on the internet.

Fishing Lake Superior: A Complete Guide to Stream, Shoreline, and Open-Water ... - Google Books