View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 06:28 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barb wired fence running across Odell spring creek in Ennis Montana

An amazing thread, an I've never fished in Colorado so not much I could add. Save for this is also an issue in some areas of Montana. Rancher's, bless them but if some don't get their head in the game that this is no longer "The Wild West" it could cost them everything.

I've known several over the years and the bright one's will put in Arrow head gates for walking access. Hook up with a reputable fishing club and do a 'Here's the deal.'

Steelhead Trout Club of Washington did this for years, and I suspect they still do so. Get a call that someone's cut a fence and 'we'll be there in hours,' well, daylight hours. Help round up his livestock if necessary? You bet, repair the fence you bet.

Big tip of the hat to the local Sheriff's; they didn't like the calls any better than we did (not that often, but it did happen).

So how did you get foot access? You had the STCW sticker in your window, drove in to the farm yard, knocked on the door and told them you (and how many) were here and where would you like me/us to park.

Best time? We're there, four of us if memory serves, and wife asked if we could help. Husband had a minor stoke and You BET! Never wet a line that day but worked like 'Dogs.'

We're done, she had each of our phone numbers and a schedule as to who would be out every day until he was back on his feet. A week later, and phone calls the 'your day' list had expanded to almost 30. Place to find/fix was really hard even during daylight hours. Minor (and I still think a brilliant idea) was sign on the gate. It just said "Here."

Second half was the lady charged up/fired off a Colman lantern and put same by the driveway gate at zero dark thirty.

My day today, I call the next person and confirm he'll be there tomorrow. RULE ONE! If you can't, you call that day's guy and advise. Very odd off misses, but they did happen over the next 90'ish days. One fellow had never been to the property and got totally lost trying to find same at something like 0500 on a winter morning.

Back then there was no such thing as a GPS.

fae