View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 06:29 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default Repair or discard?

Okay, here's the deal:

Last weekend, I somehow cut my nearly three year-old Rio Grand line about 4.3 feet from the tip down to the core. The core appears to be intact, and the rest of the line is in decent shape.

My original thought was to simply cut the tip off at that point, glue the end and tie on a new loop. OR, simply glue the cut closed and continue to fish it as is.

However, a buddy of mine insists that the line's castability/floatability is compromised and that I should just get a new line.

I don't have a problem shelling out for new line, but I don't want to just throw the line away if it's salvageable.

In case it matters: The line weight is 6.5. I fish it typically on my St. Croix Imperial 9 ft. 5 wt. throwing mostly medium-to-large buggers/streamers/bunny leeches as well as large bushy dries, up to and including mice. Average cast length approximately 50 feet.

So, what say you, old wise ones? Does she stay, or does she go?

Thanks.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

Last edited by rangerrich99; 04-22-2013 at 06:39 PM. Reason: math