View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 07:16 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 3 wt Rod Recommendation (BVK maybe)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimloom View Post
I don't have experience with the BVK, however I do own two 3wts. a G.Loomis GLX Whispercreek 8'8" and it is a great small fly/steam rod. You can find deals on them on eBay for around $300.00 or so. Super sweat rod. The other is a G.Loomis Trilogy 7'6" that are found on ebay for $150.00, a great small steam rod.

Craig
You make an interesting point. I had considered a used rod. There was a Trout Unlimited show in Bethesda, MD just recently. I even got a casting lesson from Lefty Kreh!! There was an Orvis guide there who was selling a very nice used Helios for something between $350-395 I think. I came really close to writing that check. The only thing that stopped me (aside from not being sure about spending that much money on a rod) was, as a second owner, not having any kind of a warranty.

The only other question I've pondered is whether spending the big bucks on a rod really would make that much of a difference in how much I enjoy the sport and how much better I could cast over a really well chosen good $200-250 rod????

Thanks for your suggestion.

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonder View Post
You really should cast one for yourself, as it is your opinion on the BVK that will matter the most to you. My personal opinion is heavily biased, as I prefer slower, more medium action rods, like the ones of my youth. Old habits are hard to break.
Your point is well made. If I can find one to cast, I will.

Tks!