View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 07:51 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Textured or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Any line slapping the water can transmit enough sound and energy to the water to get then trouts attention and spook them. This is why, for the most part, the cast should end with the line above the water so it gently lands without signaling the trout you are there. Hoppers, poppers and such sometimes work better being slapped on the water to get the fish's attention but even then it's best to not slap the line if you can help it.
The Textured SA line is quieter than the Sharkskin and is easier on the fingers and epoxy around the guides.
I started fly fishing when silk lines were the norm (and a whole lot cheaper) because that's what was on the rods the grown-ups brought on vacation. From there I've witnessed and used a lot of lines since the progression from silk to what we have today. Being one of the grown-ups today I enjoy witnessing and being the beneficiary of the progress the line manufacturers have made in making slick and durable, low maintenance lines. The Sharkskin and Textured lines I use have no more or less problems of the tips floating than slick lines of the same general configuration. Truth-be-told, the highest floating tips I've ever had on fly lines are any of the Cortland lines with their Dyna-Tip. The same people who bring us the ancient 333 lines that so many people adore thankfully didn't stop at that and are still improving and innovating. I hope I never get so old or stuck in my ways that I can't take advantage of the true improvements that make this sport more enjoyable and efficient.
If you are having trouble feel your rod load it might not be you but the rod you are using. As mentioned earlier, the SA GPX and Rio Grand can help not only in tossing meatier flies but being a 1/2 line weight heavy also can in getting a feel for rod loading. The GPX comes in slick, Textured and Sharkskin!
Having my druthers I pick Textured, it's the best of both worlds for my uses.
Thanks for the info. I'm buying a new rod and maybe two - both in the 3-5 wt range. One will be for more delicate presentations and small water and the other for the all around streamer/nymph/fly 5 wt. I'm wondering what type of fly line is the best and why so I can match it to those rods. I've never had to choose a line before.

Sharkskin isn't a line I want to use. This leaves the textured and smooth lines. I've read the manufactures claims that textured is better. I'm wondering if this is true or just good advertising. You say textured is your preference. Is there a reason why you like it better? What does it do better than smooth lines and/or vise versa?

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Sounds are vibrations transmitted through the gases, liquids or solids. They are pressure waves that have a frequency and wavelength.

For sounds to be heard, they need to be able to pass from the air to the water. Normal sounds and even shouting are not passed from air to water. The frequency shift is too great. Sound travels 4.3 times as fast in water as in air and so the sound cannot penetrate and is reflected.

"A water–air interface is usually an almost perfect reflector of acoustic waves."

Sound and the water–air interface

Fish do have internal ears for higher frequency vibrations and lateral lines for lower frequency.

What fish do sense through their lateral lines are the vibrations we make when we wade AND the underwater "sounds' we make with wading staffs. The sense the vibrations from us walking on the river bank. These vibrations are transmitted from ground and not the air.

Shout and yell all you want. Fish are deaf to that. If someone tells you the fish can hear that, they are mistaken.
I really appreciate the response!

I knew about the speed at which sound travels under water. Lefty Kreh wrote about it in at least one of his books. This fact is, in part, is what lead me to start this thread.

Can you tell me if the noise or vibrations a textured fly line makes rubbing against the guides on a fly rod while stripping in the line, like during a streamer retrieve, are transmitted through a fly line that is in the water - into the water? This one item is my biggest concern with textured fly lines. As a secondary question, would it transfer enough noise (vibrations) where it could spook the fish?

Thanks!