View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 08:05 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sulfur nymph vs March Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
Lots of folks use a gold-ribbed hare's ear, but Tom Rosenbauer of Orvis has written approvingly of this one:
Coleman's March Brown
(Tom started his fishing career in Carl Coleman's fly shop.)
I'm a big fan of the Coleman March Brown and if you study it, you'll see that it works for the same reasons that copperjohn might.
I once had an opportunity to discuss the this nymph with Rosenbauer and he felt that the fly probably was just a march brown in name only and more likely was taken for something else... like a crayfish.
That takes nothing away from it though, it's a great fly.

Count me as someone who believes that the more detail to a fly, the easier it is for the fish to decide it's a fraud. While most of my nymphs are little more than fur over lead, I do carry the march brown flymph.

Click the image to open in full size.