View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 09:22 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Textured or not?

This is a good question and many good responses...kudos to Jackster and Silver Creek for historic and technical perspectives.

Unlike GPX which is available in all versions, most SA lines feature unique tapers in each of the three series, SS, Textured and original Mastery. Often the taper and weight distribution of the lines' design has more to do with its performance on a given rod than the surface treatment. I fish lines from all these series as well as Airflo's Ridge lines; the quiet textured line.

My wife and I enjoyed a great, remote bonefishing destination in the northern Bahamas a couple of years ago. She had a brand new at the time TFO BVK #8 ,and, as BVK's tend to prefer 1/2 heavy lines of an aggressive taper, she had a tropical SA Sharkskin Magnum rigged for it and I had an SA Textured Saltwater on my NRX. We felt very stylish. First day out our alpha guide hissed louder than any Sharkskin against Recoils; "Lady do you have any quit lines, those things spook de bonefish!" She asked me and of course I always have back up lines and allowed I would re-rig her reel that evening. "Mister, your line makes noise too!" Well, I explained, I do not believe the sound the line makes in the guides (NRX too has noisy Recoil guides) is transmitted into the water and I really like the way this line fishes with this rod. The next morning my wife hooked a fine fish on her first cast; the guide beamed. "See, the Lady listened to her guide and caught a big one right away!" I too got a big fish shortly thereafter and said; "This fish didn't seem to mind the sound of my line." "Dats because you put the fly right on his head as I told you to do so there was not enough stripping to send de noise to de fish." "What about the slap of the tide on the chines of the skiff and the crunch of the push poll", I asked? Well, rather than debate with this excellent but strong willed guide for the rest of the week, I took Billy Pate's sound advise and "listened to my guide". I put on a nice quite RIO Tarpon #8 (an excellent over looked bonefish line ignored because of its name) and fished out a fine week with no further controversy.

Despite the shooting, high floating, chemical dirt repelency and auditory indicator of casting flaws (slack in the cast primarily) offered by Textured lines, many anglers never get used to the sound. Therefore, for BVK #5 I recommend RIO Grande or possibly the new 1/2 heavy Airflo Ridge (call Rajeff Sports for details). Jackster, is Cortland Trout BOSS a bit heavy too? If so it would be a fine match as well. Fine quality lines that are heavy and quiet. The GPX taper is popular and I do use it on one rod but do not care for its presentation attributes (too short rear taper).