View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 09:27 AM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Anyone trending upward in rod weight?

I heartily agree with you. I have a 7/8 weight and I'm very happy with it. I have been using this weight for over 40 years and have never felt "over gunned". If I want to cast tiny flies, I just use a finer tippet. If the conditions are super calm, I just lengthen my leader. I sometimes go down to 3/4 lb test tippet but mostly use 2 to 4 lb tippets.

I won a 9 weight outfit (Fenwick HMX and a Fenwick Nighthawk reel) in a local tournament and I'm anxious to try it out. I won it about 2 years ago and have not used it yet....lol. I plan to fish with big streamers for landlocked salmon this spring.

I have been fishing with a few fishermen who had 5 and 6 weight outfits and almost every one of them had complaints about being able to cast when it was a bit windy or when it was time to cast large flies.

However, I will buy a 5 weight 4 piece outfit someday. They are far from useless and are perfect for those calm evenings or mornings when the brook trout are rising to small mayflies.