View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 10:01 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Textured or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts47 View Post
Sharkskin isn't a line I want to use. This leaves the textured and smooth lines. I've read the manufactures claims that textured is better. I'm wondering if this is true or just good advertising. You say textured is your preference. Is there a reason why you like it better? What does it do better than smooth lines and/or vise versa?

Thanks!
10-12 years ago I had a clear tipped floating line that I thought would be just the ticket for some of the clear, slow waters I fished. I can't recall how well the clear tip worked but that line shot like none I ever tried. At the time me and my buddies concluded that it shot so well because the handling partion of the line had a rough, textured surface. I wish I could remember the maker of that line as they never were a big player in the market. Their stuff just popped up every now and then. What I do remember is the clear tip and, rare at the time, the handling portion and running line were a light, sky blue. Maybe this line is what got me appreciating what a textured finish can do.

Since Scientific Anglers makes some of their premium lines in all three configurations; smooth, Textured and Sharkskin, it's easy to do A/B comparisons if you have friends with them or money to burn.
I've used GPX smooth for a number of years in a couple different line weights and have used the Textured and Sharkskin for a while too. I've had the Textured for the past year and Sharkskin since it came out. Though the original smooth Mastery lines were fantastic in not just their tapers but in bringing s a slick, dry coating that went all the way to the core. To get a brand new slick, dry finish on your line with just a swipe with a micro-abrasive pad was a vast improvement over simple coatings that needed treatments to work and could wear off.
I prefer Textured over the Sharkskin because it is easier on the hands and guide epoxy and it costs less.
Both of the lines with textured surfaces shoot better and therefore cast further and take less energy to use throughout a normal fishing trip.
I'm fairly certain that the better shootability is because there is less surface area hitting the guides and blank.
Maybe, just maybe, textured lines also hold loop shape better and are affected by wind less because they are textured. There's a reason golf and tennis balls are also textured, no?
Again the sound the textured lines make doesn't bother me at all. In running water it is hardly noticable and in quiet areas it became just one of the sounds I got used to like crickets chirping and birds singing. The sound, just as in music, seems to be a matter of personal choice as to how one feels about it.