View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 03:23 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone trending upward in rod weight?

The problem I have with big rods like an 8wt for fish like blue gills, brookies, and other smaller fish is not so much presentation. In fact, I think it's quite well shown that you can make an 8wt work for anything. It may not give hte best presentation in the world, but it can still be done.

Instead, my problem comes in the fun factor. Catching a little blue gill or a 6" wild rainbow in the mountain blue line creeks of California is just plain old boring. It reminds me of using a bait casting reel that is spooled up with 60lb braid and attached to a 7' medium heavy broomstick for a 2lb bass. The initial hookset is fun simply because of the "take" which in all fairness is the pinnacle of the entire process to me. However, it is a plain old snooze fest after that. Skating this fish across the surface in record timing leaves nothing in the enjoyment bank.