View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Anyone trending upward in rod weight?

Heavy rods are great, I do still like my little rods for small brooks but on any real river I find myself using a big Spey rod even for trout and grayling fishing anymore. The idea that catching smaller fish on a heavy rod isn't fun is (in my experience) not accurate. When I catch a 12 - 14" fish using an 8 weight 13' rod with a 12 pound tippet I can just reel them in and quickly release them. The faster you can do this, the more fish you will be able to catch in a given period of time. When a nice one grabs the fly you are ready and there aren't many theatrics when you land them either.

I don't 'Fight Fish' I catch them.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;