Thread: a foody thread?
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 01:40 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: a foody thread?

Hi Casey,

That looks good!

I don't take pictures so you'll have to use your minds eye here. Tonight we had a standing rib roast. I began preparing it last Friday with a heavy rub / coating of ground rosemary, a pinch of sage, a wee bit of marjoram, a dash of salt and plenty of ground black pepper corns. To this dry mixture I add a few large cloves of peeled garlic pressed with a garlic ricer.

Once things were coated heavily I do a little injecting with a marinade made with beef stock and infused with that same blend of herbs & spices. I add a small shot of lime juice for the acid property of the juice, this acid aids as a tenderizer but is not noticeable to the taste.

Friday through today, Tuesday, I remove the roast from the refrigerator and turn it so that gravity does its work with the injected marinade. I leave the meat (about a 10 pound roast) out each day to reach room temperature and then put in back in the cool each night. This warming to counter top temps each day aids in the aging process. Aging breaks down the protein structure of the meat and is a large part of the tenderizing process as well.

The end result is something that I have fairly well perfected over 27 years of cooking prime rib of beef. The roast was done just right and was almost fork tender. The flavor of the rub was evident throughout the entire cut of which mine was about a 30 ounce slab.

last weekend I did a turkey and I did take a couple pictures of that. I will post them soon as I load them to my pictures. I make a stuffing that you may find worth a try. If you want I will post the stuffing along with the turkey pictures.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;