View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 07:02 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Tail Waters;" what is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Brookfield has that Fred,

Tail waters are generally accepted to be productive year round if the dam is a bottom feed type. This keeps the water at a fairly even temp no matter what the ambient air temps are.
That's what I thought, but with the one major dam here on the upper Rogue our water flow doesn't have a 'tail water.' Well, there is what they call the "Holy Waters" just below. What a joke. So much water gets pushed through that thing most of the trout (and they rarely - or should that be - rarity? - stock same) get flushed out in months, into the main river below.

Trout fishing the Rogue above Agness (half pounder run) is a total waste of your time. And Agness a hell of a long drive, with minimal access, unless you have a jet sled to get back. Want to use a drift boat to get all the way down to Gold Beach? You have an 'adventure' on your hands unless you really know what the hell you're doing with a set of oars.

Thanks Boz, your post confirmed my thoughts as its somewhat situationally dependent. The Dam bit I'd guessed, but I knew there had to be a lot of variables.

Many thanks for the great input folks!

fae