View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 07:57 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rod wrapping devices ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
These are both great looking devices, guys! I need to incorporate some sort of device like the spring loaded roller / rod tip to keep tension when backing off...you always need to back up!

Badfish: does the thread just go under the roller and then up over the rod? That is nice and simple, I like it.

Dan: I've seen your set-up before but I can't figure out how the thread goes through the rod tip and then to the blank for wrapping. Maybe it is the angle of the picture. Thread comes off the spool, through the eye on the stand, up through the rod tip, and then ... how does it get back to the blank? Do you wrap from "over" the blank or "under"?

My 2cents: make a constant thread tensioner like one of these, you don't need it, but you'll want it if you don't have it! My thread spool tensioners are long carriage bolts up through the stand base with washer, spring and one of those little black alligator paper clips on the top of the bolt to make tension. I am going to change this to a horizontal bolt like the one badfish has. The thread too often gets under the spool and twists around the bolt and then you have to take the dang thing all apart to untangle the thread. Pain in the arse. I wonder if Dan's felt pads on the base help resolve that issue.
I added a sliding bar to be able to align the thread to different positions on the blank, there was no need for so many eyelets. But I did find the length on the bar to be handy when wrapping the ferrules and top couple guides and tip top as they are off the end of the stand, I could slide the bar with the eyelet out beyond the stand leg. I do have to change the position of the whole thing though as the thread comes out of the eyelets under and behind the rod, which makes it harder to see and control. I want the thread to come out under but "in front of" or on my side of the rod while I wrap.
Click the image to open in full size.

Otherwise, just keep it simple, like these above.
This is fine if your building 3 or 4pc flyrods. If your working with longer sections of blank you will need to make atleast one more v-block to support a longer blank. The bed of my rod wrapper has 4 4' sections to accommodate up to 12", one piece surf rods comfortably.