View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 04:27 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default How is Rio Grande different than just over lining?

I intend on casting a few different lines on my 9'6" XP 5wt tomorrow. I've been reading about the Rio Gold, Grande and SA GPX.

If the Grande is rated 1.5x heavier than standard, how would it be different than simply lining up one weight? I realize that the Grande has shorter heavier front taper, so aside from that I mean a 5WT Grande is really a 6.5 right?

I think this is goofy marketing. Isn't it just a way to convince users to over line their tip-flex rods to make casting a little easier?

If you like the aggressive taper of the Grande but want an actual 5WT line on your 5WT rod, then you'd have to use a 4WT, which would actually be a 5.5WT. Which is actually in line with the SA GPX, that is a half size heavier and makes more sense to me. O yeah, and how's on second?!