View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 04:58 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fishing close to the I-80

There are a number of good options off I-80 once in WY.
I'm not at my computer at the house si I can't give you as much detailed information, but here are some ideas.
1. Turn off at Laramie and then take hwy 130 into the Snowy Mtns, lots of small streams and lakes.
2. West of Laramie take the Walcott exit, head south to Saratoga, there is a lake on the south end of town with nice sized rainbows, or watch for the brown public access points to the North Platte. Be careful if you decide to fish the access points on the south side of Saratoga, due to rattlesnakes. I prefer the access points on the north side of town in the mtns (maybe 15 miles past town, just watch for the brown signs.
3. Take the Sinclair exit about 7 miles to the east of Rawlins, WY and travel north about an hour, the hwy crosses the North Platte. This section is called the Miracle Mile, actually about seven miles of river all n BLM land, lots of camping available.
4. Just past Rock Springs, take hwy 191 south to Dutch John, UT, it is about an hour drive. As you reach Dutch John, you will see a gas station/convenience store/fly shop on the left. If you turn left the paved road will take you down to a boat landing called Little Hole, about five miles. If you continue past Dutch John look for the boat launch sign on the left before you cross the dam. This area I'm talking about is the Green River below Flaming Gorge reservoir. If you fish anywhere along your trip to CA, make it a point to fish here. All of the land on the river is BLM and there is a walking path from the dam all the way to the first takeout at Little Hole, so even in the summer there is plenty of room to spread out. Lots of camping in the area but little tree cover/shade except for a couple, the best is past the dam and up the hill a bit on the left called the firemen's memorial.