View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 06:09 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New from Maryland

Just a few thoughts from someone whose 'flicked fluff' for 60'ish years.

Number One: 98% of the time a reel is just a place to store you line.

Number Two: 2% of the time a fish (trout) will ever see the back end of a 90 foot line.

Number three: Fishing for 'trout' you don't need a reel with a drag that would stop a King Salmon in its tracts. Heck, most of the most Hardy Reels don't have anything beyond a 'clicker' for a drag.

Number four: Most newest/best/top of the line are just marketing hype.

Last number: Pick a reel that balances your rod (in hand) with little (if any) line on same. You pick one too heavy and the rod will fish tip high. Tiring over the course of a day? Pick one a tad 'too light' and you'll fish tip down, which is where you want that rod to to be?

Couple of situations (that comes to mind anyway) is you're choice of fishing 'style.' If 'high stick nymphing' there a slightly heavier weight reel brings something to the Party. Fish tip down, then a lighter reel may well be in order.

Just my .02 cents, but what do I know? I fish for Steelhead 95% of the time. Trout Guys here have forgotten 90% more than I ever knew.

fae