View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Alaskans to D.C.: Stop Pebble Mine From Destroying 14,000 American Jobs

This area is not heavily populated but they did have a vote. The outcome would have been enough to settle a presidential election but this is about mining and although the balloting was taken into consideration, the State Legislature is still debating whether to move ahead with this.

This is from Ktuu News:

[Copy]

Battle Over Pebble Mine Heats Up

by Jackie Bartz | October 18, 2011

One day after the votes were tallied for an initiative aimed at blocking the proposed Pebble Mine in Southwest Alaska, both sides are saying they are pleased with the outcome. The "Save our Salmon" initiative passed by a 34 vote margin, 280 to 246, according to Lake and Peninsula Borough unofficial election results. "I think its a real victory for the people of the affected region of Bristol bay," Art Hackney a spokesperson for Alaskans for Bristol Bay, an anti-pebble organization, said.

[End Copy]

I've never been to Bristol Bay but I no more welcome the Pebble Mine project there than I would if it were near the cabin. I fully understand the need for raw materials in this world but also believe that we simply can't tear up the entire planet because of that need. There is only one place like this on earth and it's Bristol Bay Alaska. If there were 60 or 70 places just like this I would say "why not" but there aren't 60 or 70.

I hope to go there one day and when I do it may be one of the only good fishing grounds left here for salmon. Our rivers and their salmon stocks are in trouble at this time. I don't mean they may be in trouble in the future, I mean now. No one seems to have answers as to why our king and silver salmon are disappearing but they are, and are doing so at an exponential rate.

Whatever the motive behind TU taking a position on this everyone is allowed to take one. I don't see a reason not to be very careful when risking the last great salmon stocks on the planet vs. a gold & copper mine is the issue being discussed.

I'm sorry but I don't mine. I fish and I'll probably do it until I die. If you give me a choice between the two I'm voting for the fish every time.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 05-10-2013 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Removed the word 'politics' from post