View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Leaders/Tippet for WF8F

Hi abrysdam,

Here is a system that I used in Alaska for 15 years. It worked for me and I didn't have to buy a bunch of different leaders.

I would buy 5' or 4' tapered Salmon leaders in 0X and 1X. The OX is 10lb and and the 1X was 8.5lb. I could make the OX into a 1X or 2X by changing the tippet. If I wanted a lighter leader I could add a short (6") piece of 2X leader material and then add a 3X or 4X tippet. With the 1X leader I could add a 1X, 2X, or 3X tippet. If I had the 1X leader on I could add a short section of 3X and then a tippet of 4X. So this combination gave me leaders from 0X to 4X with very little work and only two sizes of leaders to buy.

This system worked for everything but King Salmon. I did carry one X2 Salmon leader that was 14lb. I don't think I ever used the X2 more than a few times with big Silvers.

Frank