View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 02:41 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How important is rod/reel balance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
When you say 'balance' I take that literally. Speaking on single hand fly rods here; balance (to me) and we all have our own ideas on this, means that when you are holding the rod in your hand at your side it rests in a horizontal manner.
That's what I mean also.

On a single hand rod, the rod itself is so light and your hand so close to the reel, it takes moving your hand what? Half an inch to balance your 6 wt rod with your 10 wt reel? In casting it means absolutely zero, and in holding it darned near zero. strip a little line off or reel some more back on and it changes anyway. Seriously, take your smallest rod and put your biggest reel on and see just how far off it puts the balance. Do it the other way around.

The weight of a modern 5 wt and a modern 10 wt rod are very close. Most of that weight is in the grip and seat. Are you going to tell me that that a reel for a 5 vs. a 10 are going to be a giant difference in balance giving what rods past the grip weigh? Try it.

I just did it with my 7 wt Winston ( I have a 5 and a 6, but they don't weigh any less than this 7 does. ) and my 13/14/15 Tibor lined with a giant long belly spey line. It only shifted the balance point back from the front of the grip maybe an inch and a half tops. That was trying to be as off as I could get it. Neither casting nor stripping with that would be the slightest bit of a pain. And that was trying to get it off as rediculously as I had gear for. The reel I put on my 15' Meiser barely moved the balance point. The Tibor with the line in weighs 1lb. 11oz. and my hand is still up comfortably from the reel. Better yet, put the reel in your pocket and try casting it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishcatcher View Post
I just tried a 10 weight line with my 6 weight rod as an experiment. It casts really powerfully and bends the rod quite a bit while casting. I think that a heavier line is fine as long as you aren't casting dry flies. A line that is too light will probably not cast well if there is any wind. I would ask the dealers what a 2 foot extention will change your rod to.
Like I have said before, the grain window for a single hand rod is very big and forgiving. As for what an extension would do to the rod, you would have to do it and then see what the ERN is.

Also a light line having trouble in wind is the line not the rod. If I put an 8 wt. line on a 10 wt. rod I can cast it and not have a bit more trouble with wind than I would on an 8 wt rod. In fact I could probably cast it a lot farther on the 10 than the 8.

The question though is balance. That 10 wt. reel was not a problem on the 6 was it.