View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 06:56 AM

laurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to behold
Default Using Dabbler Patterns

Well where do we start? one of the forum members asked how do you fish Dabblers?
Dabblers were first created a few years ago by a good friend of mine Donald McClaren from Dromore county Down about 6 miles down the road from me.
Donald is a well known lough angler and ties up some great patterns, it is reputed that the pattern was accidently tied when tying up a mallard and claret but this has to be confirmed.The body material was to have come from a piece of carpet nailed to the back of the shed door, but aside from that the pattern revolutionised lough fishing and the dabbler was accounted for winning a fair few competitions all round Ireland.
My tactics when fishing the dabbler is a set up of three patterns, usually a bumble on the top dropper and then 2 dabblers, on on the middle dropper and one on the point.
claret bumble on the top dropper
Click the image to open in full size.

bloody dabbler on the middle dropper

and a claret dabbler on the point

These are cast either in front of the boat or at an angle of 45o and retrieved fairly quickly back to within 8 to 10 feet of the boat where the rod is lifted to enable the bumble to skate across the surface then held their for around 4 to 5 seconds before re casting.
This method is because a fish may folow you in and then take the fly as we say on the bob.
There is a multitude of dabbler patterns and here are a few more we tried last year

Emerald dabbler

leggy olive dabbler

leggy gold dabbler

peachy dabbler

raymond dabbler

Hope this is of use to you
regards