View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 12:04 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How is Rio Grande different than just over lining?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duker View Post
Is there a way to determine what the ERN of a particular rod is? What about the grain window?
Actually there is. If the rod has been tested before it may be on the database in the links. If not it can be easily done by you at home with stuff you have right there. Here is a link: Rod weights and Common Cents
By the way, you don't really need to know the grain window for a single hand rod. They are all very wide and forgiving. If you do as I suggest, you will be well within it and have no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duker View Post
Also, I wonder how much of this is subjective--not all people cast the same way, and it seems to me that preferences for particular rods, models of rods, and weights/brands of lines are personal to the person using them.
There is some amount of subjectivity to it because of skill and casting style. Also what your intended use is. For example, I have one rod that is rigged up about 2 weights under what the rod actually is. But it has a head that is over 70' long and is intended just to cast far. I have rods that are rigged up at what actually should be, rod wt. vs. line wt. @ 1:1. I don't really like overlining and for me don't feel it is a needed thing to do.

For a real beginner, underlining by two or better rod weights would probably give them a serious headache. You may need to work your way into that one. So that is where any subjectivity comes into play. If you were to try and put dinky little flies at a spot really close to you it may be OK to go up a wt. but I live on big water using big flies so the overlining thing is not going to be good for me.

This is why I say, test your rod, then decide what you plan to use it for. Get the right line based on knowledge not labels.