The weather has been just a little uncooperative for a few days. It's been sunny but a cold wind out of the North East has stopped me from making progress. Today the wind was down and the air was warm so I assembled my 13' FishCat raft. This takes a while and you gotta do it a couple days before you intend to use it. it's always a good idea to air the tubes up and then let it sit in the parking spot to be sure there is no leaks. If all is well by tomorrow afternoon I'll go float a river on Tuesday.
Something about alaska that never surfaced while living anywhere else; everywhere else I could fish all year long. That's not the case here. When the weather gives you the boot in October you are done for a long time. People must think that by now I'm chomping at the bit to go fishing but actually I get pretty complaisant after a long winter.
With all the rafts broken down and the pontoons stored flat in the loft over the garage............... your river boat wrapped in plastic and backed into the woods, well there's a lot to do before you can go. Now I have the river boat out and ready but there is still ice so it'll wait. The big raft is done and now I must get a gear bag ready so I don't go off half cocked. It is looking like Tuesday April 30, will open my season here.
The days are long now, daylight at 5:00 Am and stays that way until 11:00 PM so a float is worth while. You would think that if I launch by 8:30 AM and take out around 6:30 or 7:00, I ought to be able to find a couple fish. I'll have both of those shiny new Spey rods on board and the ever present Boss up front on his bed. We're gonna do a river side lunch of burgers so it'll be a real kickoff for the year. I'll take the camera and do some photos for the "I'm back" report.
If anyone wants to go let me know, there's another raft