View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 10:35 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djamtime View Post
Ok guys...

It has been a little cold here in upstate NY and I have been getting skunked alot with my nymphs.

As much as I love the outdoors, I still want to catch fish!!

I figured it was about time to tie a streamer. This is my very first one.. A Maribou Muddler. I would like some critique from some of you veteran tiers out there. Im thinkin' I should have been a little less generous with the materials, but you guys tell me.

Click the image to open in full size.
I'd fish it without hesitation. Looks it will definitely make some good noise in the water and might be a little prone to floating. Wish my first half dozen muddlers came out that well.

If you throwing this for trout, you may want to shorten up the fly a bit and keep the end of the 'tail' a bit tighter to the bend. Will help if you find you are getting short strikes.

Great shaping on the spun deer hair head! (I clip mine oddly. I put a tight, subtle "V" on the bottom with the top side half way to a diver style bass bug head. Seems to get them deeper and ride a little better in the water.)

You may want to consider a smaller thread head on the next one. It would free up a little shank length for the rest of the fly, but than again there is absolutely nothing wrong with that well formed thread head.