View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 05:02 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: alternate fly tying materials

I am very pleased with my experiment today.

For the past year, as I moved deeper and deeper into discovering the patterns I could tie, I have collected lots of stuff I just "wondered about".

Foam is a useful product, if you are tying a Dry bug etc; but I want to tell you about this stuff that has been laying around in my tying room for the past 9 months or so I guess.

There are these foam water toys called a "Noodle". Kids take them to the pool and can bop themselves all they want, harmlessly, or stick them under their armpits and paddle around in the shallow water with them.
They are about 2-3/4" Wide and 5' long, with a 3/4" diameter hole in the hollow center.

The big box stores usually have them, but I have seen them in big box hardwares too. The maker is "Tundra" Industrial Thermal Polymers. The come in colors of Green, Yellow, Red etc.

To get a workable piece for a bug body like a Grasshopper, etc, I cut a 6" length and cut that in half, lengthwise. Then, from the sharp angled edge, I shave off a wedge lengthwise about 3/16" to 1/4".

The great part about this stuff, is that when you anchor it at the bend or behind the eye of the hook, and start a thread wrap to make "ribbing" this stuff can be formed into virtually any shape you want. A 3-section body or a 2-section like a wasp is not problem. One tube for a couple of dollars, will give a lifetime supply.

I like the way this stuff forms a "bubble" when thread wraps are tightened.
It doesn't matter what odd shape it is cut to, because when the thread wraps are applied at either end,
this Noodle Foam begins stretching into a cone or oblong shape, rounded in the middle.

If a guy or gal wants to get into Fly Tying with the least amount of expense and complexity,
one could rely heavily on tying little more than Wooly Worms and Wooly Boogers.

One might keep in mind that the Wooly Worm is not of necessity, a representation of the terrestrial bug, the actual Wooly Worm at all. The Fly in fact, like its descendent the Wooly Bugger is an imitation of several different things at once, and nothing in particular usually. Dry variants and heavily weighted variants can be tied and fished.

Author and Fly Fishing expert Charlie Brooks indicated that the most effective patterns in his opinion, where those which looked the same, no matter which way you rotated them.

Just thought I would share.

Last edited by brucerducer; 05-02-2013 at 04:39 AM.