Thread: 5-Weight Revamp
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 09:02 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 5-Weight Revamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Don't wrap those guides in too tight
After you get them all on you're going to have to make sure that they're all lined up straight. For that you're going to need a little wiggle room.
I've been struggling with that. keeping them lined up perfectly. What you're saying makes a lot of sense, but I thought what caused the guides to spiral around the blanks was loose wraps. So, I am guessing it is some elusive balance of just loose enough and not too tight.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

I do have a question on this for which I could use some experienced advice.

Guide sizes:
Bought a Hook& Hackle set: 12, 10, 3, 3, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1.

These are looking a little tight to me for a 5-weight. Most other sources I have come across seem to go a little larger.

The other side I have seen is from the St. Croix site: 12, 4, 4 ,4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3.

I'm going to be ordering some "A" nylon because the rayon is just too delicate for me to work right now, and I have enough to be paying attention to. I keep snapping the thread because the spool tension sometimes gets suddenly too tight. Should I order some larger guides?