View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 07:49 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: Let's Talk About Knives.....................

Here are a few I made from repurposed steel from early files and large saw blades. Heat treated and tempered the steel to 57 -59 hardness.

Couple bird and trout knives Handles in white ash from files
Click the image to open in full size.

Woodlore style Bushcraft knife black cherry handles

Old 14 inch commercial saw blade that had damaged carbide teeth.
Plasma cutter. Then reworked blades and heat treated back to knife steel hardness.

Old file belt knife in Canadian Rock Maple

Nessmuk style skinner In African bloodwood

A clipper in ash with sheath

Large clipper style in blood wood I make the sheaths too!

Also enjoy refinishing old Swedish, Canadian or American axe heads and custom hafting them.

Also want to give a shout out to the Mora knives of Sweden. For everyday use around water I suggest the stainless steel Sandvik model. It comes in a variety of edges from straight blade to serrated to rounded tip for puncture prevention. I use a blaze orange handled one with a partially serrated edge for my fishing knife. Best blades for the buck which is little at under $20 for most modest models.

This one is the Mora Robust. A little thicker and wider blade with a little beefier handle. Probably the best overall knife in the world in its price bracket of $25 or less. This one is in carbon steel. Don't be fooled by the plastic handles. The stuff is indestructible. I used one as a throwing knife for over a year. Still works great.

Cheers