View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 11:19 AM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about
Smile Trout Switch/Spey Results

This past weekend was the traditional opening weekend for the Michigan trout season. I made the trip, because it is something that, if missed, seems to taint the whole season. The outlook was not promising--high cold water, inclement weather, etc. I took my 10' 5 wt switch rod and my 11'7" 5 wt spey rod with me more for practice than anything else.

There were lots of bugs, hendriksons and BWOs, around, but no rising fish. In fact I caught the only fish that I saw rise on a hennie.

I fished the switch rod with double nymph, lead, and indicators on Thursday and found it very easy to cast, mend, and control the drift of the flies. While I didn't catch any fish that day, I loaned the rod to my friend who landed an 18" brown the next day on the same setup.

Sunday afternoon, I fished the spey, again for practice and was rewarded with a nice 12" brown on swung streamer. The Spey was a lot easier to cast the big streamer than with a traditional SH rod. My double haul has always left a lot to be desired, but the snap T, sent the streamer out where I wanted it (usually) and allowed for long swings. I was fishing a five wt Speydicator line with a five foot extra fast sinking polyleader and about three feet of 2x to the fly. Probably would have cast better with a bit longer tip section, but I was satisfied.

I see a lot more possibilities opening up for these two rods on larger streams like the Au Sable.