View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 02:04 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sink Tip? 15'? 24'? Sink Line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbearco View Post
If I get a full sink line, will I ruin it on the rocks?
It depends on the depth that you are at, the sink rate that you have, and how much line you have out.

Quote:
Is there a point at which it stops sinking?
Yes. A very fast line can make for a total hang down. Some slower lines can be pushed around by wave action.

Quote:
For deep lakes, do I want a slow sink?
Only if you intend to fish in the effective zone of that line. I only fish a slow sink line in depths less than 10 feet.

Quote:
Now, for streamer fishing in Colorado rivers, I want a faster sink (4 ips) right?
It depends on the depth and the speed of the current. You might want an intermediate tip. You may need a type 6 tip.

Quote:
I also want to fish from the shore submerged, so I probably want a 15" sinktip for that, right?
Depth and the speed of the current will dictate your sink rate.

Quote:
Can my streamer setup be used for 6' deep shore fishing?
Yes and no. Yes if the fish are at the depth that the sink tip can attain. No if the current does not allow the sink tip and fly to get to depth.

Quote:
I hope all this is clear. There's several things I want to do with my next line purchase. I just don't know if I'm actually looking at 2-3 setups, or just one more.
Line strategy is an important aspect of fishing. The reality is that you have to get your fly to the fishy zone. If the fly is not there, don't expect to catch fish.

If you are unsure of your streamer line strategy, you could always go with a multi-tip line like Rio's VersiTip II. This line has interchangeable 15 foot tips that have different sink rates.

If you want to fish deep lakes effective once you get your pontoon boat, lean how to fish with long leaders (up to 30 footish), slip indicators, and chironomids. That's Joni's expertise. I'd ask her about it.

I would check with a local fly shop on how they deal with their line strategies. It's hard to beat the local knowledge.

Dennis