View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 02:47 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Special Consideration? Rig For Wife?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
I won't pretend to be an expert here but I don't believe you should factor in her specific height or strength (unless she was extremely short or weak). The average person (man or woman) should be able to efficiently use almost all rod weights for a full day if they have decent casting technique.

When considering the rod (or more precisely line) weight and rod length, I would spend more time thinking about your fishing situations. If you tend to do mostly nymphing, a longer rod may be best. If you fish small creeks where overhead room and general casting room is an issue, a shorter rod may be best. Are you targeting larger fish or smaller ones? What size flies are you using?

These are the types of questions you should use to determine her outfit, and I don't believe her physical attributes should play into your selection unless they are extreme.

But like I said, I'm no expert, so maybe the next person will tell me I'm all wrong.
No, you are exactly right.

In fact, I would NOT even buy an outfit at this time.

I would take her out fly fishing and let her use your outfit. You should be the gillie. You should not be fishing but teaching her how to fish.

Often times buying a SO a fly fishing outfit is also a chance to get a second outfit for ourselves that is different that what we have. So we want to go lighter or shorter. If we are honest, that may be good for ourselves, but is it really what is best for our SO?

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy