View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 02:54 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Orvis to Acquire the Scientific Anglers and Ross Reels Businesses from 3M

I'm not so sure that I am all that happy with this. SA has been a good brand and as often happens when this stuff occurs, you get the name but not the products. Orvis has been and continues to head in the direction of a clothing chain and hangs on to the fly stuff it seems, just because they can't figure out how to divorce themselves cleanly from us.

It isn't hard to find examples of these kinds of buyouts where the product and/or services have taken a dive on us. Worse yet is when these kinds of buyouts put the buyer in a less cash rich position, and any hit in the period following the buyout, can put the company at risk of becoming insolvent. I can see at least a half dozen things that could end in a less than good way for us, the end consumer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfordcreek View Post
NOT a big fan of Orvis, except for the great things they do on the conservation side.
Not an Orvis fan either. I looked into their conservation efforts after seeing your comment. Other than a mild bit of partnering with TU, who I distrust with every fiber in my being, they seem to be pretty good eggs in that respect.

Last edited by Guest1; 05-01-2013 at 03:09 PM.