View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 08:42 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: How is Rio Grande different than just over lining?

I keep a chart of all the fly lines I've ever owned.

This first fly line presented that is relative to this post was sold as a WF-7-F. Per my calculations it measures as a WF-8.8-F, with an actual 219.1 grain wt. The line is a Rio Grande.

I purchased a grain scale, and perform my own measurements on each line I own (I then mathematically equation each fly line to a representative Aftma standard). I've found All manufactures vary from Aftma standards, and believe this contributes greatly to why we all prefer different lines for our own individual rods.

I wish manufactures would list actual grain weights on the sales boxes we purchase, but that would also most likely result in an increased cost in production quality control standards. I have a handful of Rio lines, and have found they are all heavier than aftma standards, some more so than others.

Here are the others, all weighed on the same scale using the same method.

Sold as a Rio 4wt line, My measurements WF-4.2-I, 114.2 actual grain wt. ,Rio Lake Auqualux Midge Tip
Sold as a Rio 6wt line, My measurements WF-7.6-F, 186.7 actual grain wt. ,Rio Selective Trout
Sold as a Rio 9wt line . My measurements WF-9.8-F, 251.6 actual grain wt. ,Rio Saltwater Taper

When I measure rods I take the dead center of CCS method and use that as my baseline. When I measure lines I take the dead center of the aftma standard, and use this as my baseline measurement. This is how I then come up with the decimal points. (So in my own measurements a line that is a 6.8, is actually closer to a true 7, than a line that would weigh in at a 7.3).

When I first started measuring this sort of stuff, I devised a system that made sense to me, and it was not originally intended to share with others. Using this method, you can see the "Rio Lake Auqualux Midge Tip" line posted above is very close to where the Aftma standard says it should be.

I hope what I did hear makes some sort of sense, if not I will try to clarify. All I'm trying to imply, is don't trust the box. Most of them regardless of the manufacturer will have a tendency to fool you! Do yourself a favor and buy yourself a scale, this is the only way to eliminate the doubt.

When comparing the CCS rod standards to the Aftma line standard, and considering my own casting style. I find that I usually prefer a line that is about .5 of the way up in the scales. (in other words, if I have a 7 wt rod I would most often prefer fishing a line that weighs in at a 7.5 in my own aftma decimal pointed calculations).

All these numbers can be fun, and may reveal some predictable tendencies. The only way to know for sure is to fish the combo in question, and see first hand if its a match! For me, the numbers just help reduce the risk of a undesirable match.

"Rods / lines / reels" are not cheap. the more information we consumers can share, the less we will all need to spend.

Last edited by charged; 05-01-2013 at 09:43 PM.