View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not sure if anybody has tried this??

OK, I'll bite. Trying to have one setup for trout, bass and salt is a tough task. Sure I have an 8 wt rod that I use when targeting those big Missouri trout in the spring, but under normal trout situations I use a 5 wt, if I'm hitting the small mtn streams than maybe a 3 or 4 wt would be more appropriate. Sure an 8 wt will work, but the rod will hardly bend unless I hook into a 20" plus fish. If I'm hooking into a 12-14" fish it won't be much fun as the rod will hardly know there is anything on the end of the line. A 7/8wt rod will work fine for most bass situations and should be fine for most salt fishing unless you are targeting really big fish, but if you are going after redfish or anything in that size range you will be fine. Get yourself a WF floating line, I like the SA Textured series, but RIO also makes some fine lines. Its like asking someone about cars, are you a Chevy guy, Ford guy, Dodge guy.......you see where I'm going. In the end, you can use one rod for just about any fishing, but soon you realize that isn't the best instrument for the task at hand and start expanding your rod arsenal. For me I think I have 12-14 rods in the quiver at the moment.......do I need all those rods, he** no, but it sure is fun having the right rod for the task at hand.

Larry

Larry