View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 01:14 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Un named bamboo??

The way the pictures display for me they are very hard to get a really good idea of the overall length of this rod.

I will make a guess; Based on the grip (rather unusual) and the ferrule just above the winding check................. and the colors of the silks, I think this was once a 9 or 9.5 foot rod for a heavy line that someone customized.

I have seen 3 piece rods that the mid section was taken and used as a blank for a butt. The tip is used to finish the rod into a 2 piece rod which will cast a # 5 or 6 line.

This one looks like only a short portion of the original butt section was used to mount the grip & seat and then the mid & tip are used to complete the rod.

It could have been one of any number of 7/8 weight production rods sold during the late 40's and 1950's. The light cane reminds me of several South Bend rods I had long ago. I have thought of using mid and tip to make a short rod many times. If I run across a buy on an old South Bend with 2 tips I still may do it.

Hope that helps, I may be wrong but what I said is my guess.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;