View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 03:37 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold
Default Seat sizes for Spey/Switch rods

Need some assistance from you switch rodders. Is there a cut off on using a standard size seat on a Spey/Switch rod? Or is the deciding factor a matter butt diameter on the heavier rods? I usually use burl inserts and not metal thin wall inserts.

On my 7 weight Sage "One" I have installed a Spey seat from Joel Lemke.
1)Mainly because it is a bigger blank and I am going to run Abel Switch reels which are pretty beefy.
2) The bigger hardware looks more proportional. Plus with the added diameter of the butt section there wouldn't have been much meat on the insert after it was drilled out.

On my St Croix Imperial 5 weight switch I used a Joel Lemke LC1 (his standard sized seat hardware). Because at the time I didn't even know there was such a thing as a Spey/Switch seat. I think I am ok as it doesn't appear that I will need to run a Switch reel on that size rod. Plus being a smaller blank it looks proportional.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16