View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 04:07 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seat sizes for Spey/Switch rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee View Post
I think I am ok as it doesn't appear that I will need to run a Switch reel on that size rod. Plus being a smaller blank it looks proportional.
A mistake many people make is to think bigger reels use bigger feet. They don't. The little one is a 3/4 type reel. I got it because I wanted a fly line for a specific reason and could put it in my pocket back when I hiked around a small lake I used to fish for Largemouth. The big one is a Tibor 13/14/15 wt. reel I got so I would have enough weight to balance a 17' rod. Notice the foot on the two reels. Same size huh.

Spey and switch seats are to accomodate the giant diameter of the butt end of the blanks, not the reels. They may also tend to be a bit beefier just because the forces in a big two hander are a heck of a lot more drastic than that in a single hander.

If it fit on the rod, don't sweat the small stuff as they say.

Click the image to open in full size.