View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 06:02 PM

petee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to all
Default Re: Seat sizes for Spey/Switch rods

Thanks Dan, I thought there was a standard for the foot of a reel, at least for newer reels. Don't remember when they went to standard foot dimensions, but I know they have em now. Figured it was due to butt diameter. Even though I am a Switch newbie, I figured there were mucho more stresses on a Spey especially.

Top rod is the St.Croix Imperial switch with the standard hardware. Bottom is the Sage "One" with the spey hardware. Hard to see it, but there is quite a big difference in seat sizes. Won't be able to use the pewter Abel Swich reel on the 5 weight. It just overwhelms the rod. But when you get a brand new Abel for the price of a spare spool, you buy it. I'm thinking one for salt and one for steelhead. And yes, the slider for the spey seat is 1/4" wider than normal..... don't ask. I messed up the insert dimensions #@%(&

Click the image to open in full size.

As usual I talked myself into circles. I think I am over thinking the whole Spey/Switch thing.

Pete
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16

Last edited by petee; 05-02-2013 at 07:10 PM.