View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 04:54 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Orvis to Acquire the Scientific Anglers and Ross Reels Businesses from 3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Jackster, I don't live in Manchester or Roanoke but I do believe that SA has made nearly all Orvis lines since Orvis ceased using some Cortland lines decades ago.

Instead of guessing, conjecture and hearsay I went right to Orvis to get the straight scoop. I knew they invested a huge sum of money to put their own coatings on cores they like almost everyone else procure from a certain source but to spend that money and not put what they bought to use just seemed odd for a company as large and old as Orvis. You generally don't last long or grow by being stupid.

I sent this to Orvis:
"I'm sticking my neck out in saying Orvis applies their own coatings and tapers on their fly lines because of the huge investment you made several years ago in doing that.
I haven't heard much lately about Orvis doing their own fly lines and now have to wonder.
With the 'net all abuzz with the Scientific Anglers purchase from Orvis everything probable will change but please, can you tell me if you still make your own lines here in the U.S. and if not when did you stop?"

To which Orvis replied:
"Nothing has changed in that respect. We still apply our proprietary coatings in our rod shop in Vermont."

I'm not certain what all this means now though with the SA purchase. and I really can't say if by 'coating' a surface finish is meant or the entire coating that goes from the surface to the core is meant. To be honest it doesn't much matter to me yet. It's just too soon to tell. I know what I like and use and as of now it's Rio and SA but now that Wulff also refined their coatings I'll definately get back into them too.
So many choices and so little cash.