View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 07:03 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Holiday Inn Express Guide to Macro Study

now thats what I call an answer! thanks so much for taking the time to make those points...

the fact that the drift is going on so long is incredible...that these insects are actually in a vulnerable state so long blows my mind...

also the fact that they do that cool little "surfacing move"repeatedly is also so cool...its like they are practicing...but also they are so vulnerable too...I understand what you are saying about the wet flies and the success ratio...catching trout with a dry is sort of the quintessential method...the height of angling with a fly...but in all honesty I have caught way more with my favorite wet...

actually my best ever public water trout was a slab brown on a drowned caddis in Cheesman...but really it could have just as well been a generic wet fly ...now I think I am starting to understand...probably it looked like a "practicing" emerger???who really knows...its just a good thing to cover as many bases as possible...

again...thanks for taking thne time to add some understndable aspects of all this...maybe consider writing your own treatise on such matters..if you already have not...

btw...here is my favorite wet...not as fashionable as those cute dry patterns...but I am starting to understand why they work so well...practice sessions...

Click the image to open in full size.

actually they are some many patterns that "cross over"...some wet patterns that are basically emerging nymphs...then some caddis bugs that look so similar...

all the best...ted

PS...Mr Leisenring back in the 40's perfected a style drift I love so much! sort of a mix of a high stick dead drift and stack mend...I wish I could have fished with him!

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/