View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 08:54 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default Re: How to get started?

You should do a search on this, as I believe there are several threads on this subject. However, your basic needs are as follows:

A book, DVD or some reference material on how to tie. Others here can direct you to the better books.

Vise - Spend a little and get a rotary. Pretty sure you can get one from Griffin for under $70. I got mine on sale for $40. It's not sexy, but it has gotten the job done for the last 5 years. Other brands may have similar quality/priced products.

Ceramic bobbin(s) - I'd suggest you get at least two of these, but you can get by with just one. Approx. $10-$15.

Scissors - get a pair of Dr. Slicks. Approx. $15(?), though for your purposes you may want to get a second pair for cutting larger materials

Whip finisher - you don't really need this, but it can be handy, especially when you're getting started. I still use one, simply because my fingers are stupid sometimes. approx. $6.

Some manner of cement. Super glue works, as does Loctite. Hard as Nails, and Zap-a-Gap are popular as well. Some are easier than others to work with. Also, they produce different finishes. Some will give your fly a hard, clear, shiny head, others will 'glaze' over and give you a duller look. The fish don't care, but you might.

Besides materials that's about it. You could get a bodkin (a big needle with a handle), which I find handy at times, or you could get by with a safety pin. also, a set of hackle pliers might be nice, but again, not necessary, especially if you're tying pretty big, which it sounds like you are.

Basic materials:

Thread - comes in a lot of colors. I'd say start with black, white, and olive.

Bucktail - Chartreuse, white, natural should cover it at first, but they aren't pricey, so get whatever colors you like.

Feathers - You'll end up tying with feathers at some point for streamers and poppers. Just remember to get decent quality material, it makes a difference.

Copper wire - you'll need this occasionally for your nymph patterns, or to create a rib, or just to make your fly more durable.

Bunny zonkers - can be used in place of, or with feathers. Imparts very life-like action to your flies, and very durable. Stock up on this stuff; you're going to use it a lot.

pheasant tail - One of the first and easiest flies to tie is the pheasant tail nymph, so you should get some tails during your first shopping spree. Natural is best to begin, and maybe some kind of olive.

Hooks - I started by comparing the hooks in the flies I could buy against hooks hanging on the wall. Of course, most books and DVDs will tell you what hooks to buy, but there are many manufacturers and for some reason they like to name their hooks as uniquely as possible, making comparisons difficult. Ask more experienced tiers when possible about substitutions.

There ya go. Now get out there and start spending money.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark