View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 12:06 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Re: Holiday Inn Express Guide to Macro Study

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertip8k View Post

btw...here is my favorite wet...not as fashionable as those cute dry patterns...but I am starting to understand why they work so well...practice sessions...
That's a good looking soft hackle! I like the plump, tapered body. Tied with a bright green/olive body and dun hackle, that shape would probably do an excellent job of imitating the western Green Drake (D. grandis/doddsi).

My infatuation with the dry fly was fairly short-lived. Once I found out that I could cast to rising fish with wet flies, and still see the take... I just figured why force the dry fly... why not just feed them what they're targeting.

I still fish dries occasionally. Usually a Comparadun when they are clearly gulping hatched duns, or spent wing patterns following spinnerfalls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertip8k View Post

PS...Mr Leisenring back in the 40's perfected a style drift I love so much! sort of a mix of a high stick dead drift and stack mend...I wish I could have fished with him!
The area where I grew up in Pennsylvania was 20 minutes from Leisenring's home stream (Little Lehigh River) and about 45 minutes from his favorite haunt (Brodhead River). So it was always particularly exciting for me to fish those streams thinking about how much effort went into his imitations and the insects he was mimicking. As they say, "Leisenring may be long gone, but his book is still here, and so are the insects he was trying to imitate, along with the trout species that he duped with them."

The Art of Tying the Wet Fly & Fishing the Flymph is a fascinating journey inside the mind of a man obsessed with fooling trout through the art of angling.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring