View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 10:45 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which New Wading Boot?

On my quest to find a set of wading boots for a 10 day fishing trip, I purchased the new Patagonia Ultralight Wading boots with sticky sole option. I wanted another pair of boots that were light, did not have studs and wore more like a pair of sneakers. These boots are just that. I was really impressed with them on several fronts.

First, they are extremely comfortable, and quite possibly the most comfortable boot I have worn to date. The removable foot liner allowed me to swap out the stock liner and replace it with one designed for athletic shoes, so I've got some extra padding in them.

The amount of debris that got inside the boot was EXTREMELY minimal. I found myself walking through silt above my ankles and at times 1/2 way up my shin and at the end of the day there was very little of anything inside the boot. The first couple of days I found myself taking out the liner to inspect this, thinking there had to be more debris under it. After a few days, I gave up looking because it was clear nothing was there.

Lacing system is excellent, you can get these boots tied quickly and the plastic eyelets shouldn't cut into the laces like boots with metal eyelets will. One flaw in my opinion is there is nothing to attach the clip from your gravel guards. This is very minor and I'm sure I can remedy this one way or another if not live with them as they are.

These are very light boots that have a good amount of padding/support without being overkill. The sole was grippy enough to suit my needs and other than slipping in mud when getting out of a river (which any boot I've ever used will do) I had no issues with rubber soles and no studs. These boots drain very well.

Simms Riversheds are my primary boot and are ideal for back country hiking, demanding wading conditions of the free stone streams I fish and the shale lined tibs of Lake Erie. I cannot say enough about the Simms but this latest offering from Patagonia is certainly worth your consideration if you're in the market for new boots. I think the Simms are a bit more rigid and over time will provide more support than the Patagonia, but to be fair, they're new boots and I've worn them 10 days. Time will tell I suppose.