View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 04:03 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How is Rio Grande different than just over lining?

So it looks like Grand is up by a full size and Gold is the new Grand in terms of grain weight. I have an older version of Grand that I'm almost certain was .5 over the rated 5wt. The Gold versions I own were I think .25 over. These are previous years models of line.

I also noticed that the Rio Switch Line went up in weight. The line rated for 6/7 is now 500 grains versus the 400+ that my current line has.

I can't help but think that previous versions of the line were developed for the Z Axis rods in mind and now with the One, we have heavier lines.

Admittedly, I'm a little late to the game on this discussion, but this is good reason why the current methods of labeling line as X weight just don't make sense. I've long used Rio's lines but this sort of thing really turns me off. As one who appreciates older fly rods, I'm really going to have to pay attention to this in order to get line that matches the rods I want to put them on. Especially considering the cost of them. I wish they'd just keep it consistent or develop new/separate lines every time the manufacturers come out with new rods.