View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 03:17 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Damn! That was a humbling experience.

Been there for sure. We did a trip with my sons over spring break for Redfish with Greg Dini & Miles LaRose out of Hopedale, LA.

I spend months prior stretching out my distance cast, doubling hauling, really chunking it. I had my 80'+ "A" game ready.

Then here I am on the casting platform needing quick accurate casts with big bulky flies to points on the clock with wind at differing angles. Most of the casts were 20-50' but accuracy being key. My eyes are good but guide is like a hawk. I'm still trying to find the fish when he's telling me to cast. Very humbling, lots of blown casts. I missed many opportunities, however there were beau coup opportunities.

We're use to throwing 8-9wt stuff but we typically blind cast while wading. However spot casting from a deck is completely different.

Now the boys & I play a game not unlike the old basketball game "horse" where we each get to call the shot. However you always start with the fly in your off hand, 2 rod lengths of line (this include leader length) out, under 45' no false cast, over only one false cast. It has really improved our accuracy and coordination. The whole deal of holding fly, casting, clearing line, etc. is a "learned" task. Gotta practice it or do lots and lots of guided trips.

It's all good.

Pete A.