View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 07:53 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

When my brother and I were still in college, we would take 2 to 4 week summer backpacking adventures up in the Bob Marshall Wilderness. Though careful to avoid camps up creeks that showed bear sign, precautions sometimes still needed to be taken. Lashing a stone to a hank of cord, I tossed it over a Doug Fir limb to hoist our food cache to a safe height. A good throw; I watched as the rock arched over the intended branch and descend toward the needle carpeted forest floor interrupted by but one thing. My 5 piece, Scott-Pow-R-Ply glass rod was leaning against another tree and the rock just missed hitting it, it hit its LRH Lightweight instead. Cracked and bent the reel's cast frame prevented the spool from being removed but did not throw the reel out of round, so it worked just fine.

There don't happen to be any tackle shops up the North Fork of the Sun but that winter I mailed my reel to Alnwick and a Hardy craftsman cut and dovetailed in a new bit of frame. Good as new, you can just make out the cut lines in the metal if you look closely.