View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 08:07 AM

pjcalla has a spectacular aura aboutpjcalla has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Damn! That was a humbling experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete a View Post
I didn't want to admit my fear of falling while on the casting deck. For me it was worse getting on and off the deck but once on it I was ok.

Possibly if you would have puked it would bring the fish in a bit closer making it all easier

Love it!

Pete A.
I didn't actually puke, but it felt like I was "puking" line...just a jumbled mess. REALLY embarrassing, which puking on yourself would be too .

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Great story! Welcome to the club ! I spend a week or so every year in Islamorada. Those flats can really be puzzling at times and it takes time to get the feel for it. And as far as Poons go they are the most humbling fish there is ! Hard enough getting your casts on target in one quick false cast wait until you hook or should I say attempt to hook one. One thing I learned is fight a couple on spinning gear first it gives you an idea of what your in for . And failure is part of the fly tarpon relationship. Most years I land my share this year between a run off and some short lived hookups none to the leader. But it's the most fun you can have while being humbled by the silver king!
Yes, I am really looking forward to next time. Hopefully, I will be more prepared and actually know what I am getting myself into. That first hookup will definitely be a rush, a rush that I think about everyday since I've been back. "Man, if I just made that cast a 2' longer" or "If I only made that shot at 2:30 instead of 2:00." Yes, the bug has bitten, and I feel the need to scratch it everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie_robs View Post
That size cuda is supposed to be pretty good eating. I've never had it, but I'm curious...
I've had 'cuda in Barbados. It was pretty good. I didn't know the regs regarding 'cuda (if there are any) in FL, so we just let them go. I didn't even think about keeping any fish. Honestly, I really don't keep any fish to eat, but I guess that was an option.